- Main article: What is new in Divine Wind?
- Play as one of four major daimyos in Japan vying for influence over the Emperor and control over the Shogunate
- Expanded gameplay for horde-type countries with, among other things, the default diplomatic state being war with everybody except tributaries.
- Enhanced diplomacy with more options for alliances and peace negotiations
- Dozens of new culture-specific building types allowing greater control over the development of provinces
- Better graphics and Names-on-map in political map mode
- More realistic development of trade
- Manage the internal factions within China to keep the Mandate of Heaven
- Over 50 Achievements for players to unlock
- Multiplayer for up to 32 players
- New features for vassal countries
- Requires Europa Universalis III: Complete (or the equivalent components) and the expansion Heir to the Throne in order to play
On May 27, 2010 Paradox asked the community what their download team should work on next. A poll was created with 4 options:
- EU3 - With focus on "Rest of the World"
- Rome - Alexander era, revised map
- HoI3 - Expanded timelines, battle scenarios
- Victoria 2 - US Civil War
EU3 won with 46% of the votes, followed by Rome at 25%, Victoria 2 with 18% and lastly Hearts of Iron 3 with 10% of the voters.
This sparked the development of Divine Wind.
- Developer Diary #1 - A game too good to die
- Developer Diary #2 - "Of what real value is a title? The power is the only important thing"
- Developer Diary #3 - The Middle Kingdom
- Developer Diary #4 - Achieving more
- Developer Diary #5 - To build a new nation
- Developer Diary #6 - It came from the plains
- Developer Diary #7 - Peace - what is it good for?
- Developer Diary #8 - Trading evolved
- Developer Diary #9 - Diplomacy
- Developer Diary #10 - Minor features
- Developer Diary #11 - Diplomatic Changes
- Developer Diary #12 - Surface Polish
- Paradox Interactive
- Europa Universalis III
- Europa Universalis III: Napoleon’s Ambition
- Europa Universalis III: In Nomine
- Europa Universalis III: Heir to the Throne
- What is new in Divine Wind?